Sunday, September 21, 2014

Dinner in 15 - Grilled Flank Steak

With 2 teenage swimmers in the house food is a major deal. From school to the pool a piece of fruit, a bar, cookies and water. After a 2 hour practice when we walk in the door they are STARVED. I must have a plan, I do use the crock pot but find my family works better with putting dinner together in less than 15 min.

As a family we have started planning on Sunday what we will eat during the week. This is to eliminate the drive through window because we don't have a plan.



Day 1: Grilled Flank Steak on Spinach Salad with Blue Cheese Dressing 
Shopping list:
Flank or skirt steak
Spinach ( I buy organic, pre-washed )
Blue Cheese
Greek Yogurt (staple in my house )
Fresh Garlic (staple)
Lemon juice (fresh or the kind found in the cute little lemon)
Balsamic Vinegar (staple)

1.Turn the oven on to broil
2. Cover the steak with pepper - I do use a lot
3. Place on a baking sheet - broil for 3-4 min on each side
4. Make dressing

Dressing - you can buy, but what I find is that every time we go to use dressing it has expired in the fridge. When I make from scratch I can control the amount plus I know what the ingredients are.

I use my bullet for the dressing.
1/2 cup of yogurt - if you do not have yogurt you could use sour cream
1tbsp lemon juice
1 clove of garlic minced
pinch of salt
1 tbsp of Balsamic Vinegar - could use regular white vinegar
1/4 cup of blue cheese ( this is what I used but we like the flavor you could start with a smaller amount and then add to taste )

5. Your steak is done - let rest for a couple min then slice - you want to slice on an angle
6. Drizzle balsamic on the plate ( looks snazzy and adds a layer of flaver )
7.Place a handful of spinach on a plate, add dressing and 4-6 slices of meat

Dinner in less than 15!
Cheers








No comments:

Post a Comment